A Dream Come True...

I have always dreamed of living in New York City for a summer - enjoying the park, the shopping and the sites but as a local not a tourist. All the pieces have come together and my dream has come true. Getting to share all of this with family and friends will make this an unforgettable summer...

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Day 20 Sunday

Got my wake up call at 7:15 from my sister who was ready to go for a run. Her boyfriend, Andy, picked me up and we headed to Northport to run the route that we will be running in September for the Cow Harbor 10K Race. Started at the junior high and it was off thru the streets of my home town. I must admit I have never really run these streets as an adult before.....It was really very exciting for me. We ran Scudder Ave to the end of Main st and then over Bayview along the harbor. Very narrow streets and bumpy sidewalks...but its an old town. Then we needed to tackle James st. This hill is so steep you can barely walk up it.....forget running it....but of course I tried...and tried...wow..Luckily I asked Andy to place some water not far from there....it was also extremely hot and humid....We recovered from the hill and the rest of the run went very well..along Ocean, (Beefy passed us by) down Eatons Neck to Waterside ( Beefy passed us again)....I think he was spying on us....and then up and down Main st ( where he passed us again). We finished our run of 6-7 miles at the dock...We were met there by Andy, Kelli, Joe and Rob....fun family times. Off to Donna's where she promised to make me a spinach omelet...
After a delicious breakfast she drove me home and I got cleaned up. Of course the kids, Adam and Katelyn were up and waiting for me....their activity director... They wanted to hang out in town for a while before we had to take the train back to the city. Northport is such a beautiful town and it was hard to leave....but I will be back for the big race in September.
Back to the city where we had just enough time to change and catch a cab to Pier 83 for the Harbor lights Cruise around Manhattan. Ship left the dock at 7 and we enjoyed 2 hours of enjoying the cool ocean breeze and a wonderful gentleman giving us a guided tour of Manhattan and neighboring areas....New Jersey, Staten Island, Brooklyn, Roosevelt Island, Governors Island etc...fantastic tour...the lights of the city came on and it was breathtaking...The Statue up close and personal....beautiful.....walked to the subway...and home again...long day!! til tomorrow:)

No comments:

Post a Comment